Guidance For Retail Stores During the 2020 Holiday Shopping
The holidays are usually the busiest season for retailers, but COVID-19 will surely make this year unique. If you are a retail employer, the following tips can help reduce your employees’ risk of exposure to the coronavirus:
- Encourage workers to stay home when sick and report any safety and health concerns.
- Provide a place to wash hands or alcohol-based hand sanitizer (minimum 60% alcohol).
- Routinely clean and disinfect surfaces and equipment with EPA-approved cleaning chemicals.
- Practice social distancing and reinforce with floor tape or signs in checkout lines. Consider opening only every other cash register, temporarily moving workstations to create more distance, and installing transparent partitions.
- Use a drive-through window or curbside pickup, if possible.
- Place additional trash receptacles throughout the space.
- Train workers in proper hygiene practices.
- Allow workers to wear masks over their nose and mouth to prevent them from spreading the virus.
The following creative solutions will create minor alterations to the shopping experience that can help minimize the risk of infection.
- Change the store layout. To best follow social distancing recommendations, many stores have increased the spacing of products and displays to allow for more space between shoppers.
- Adjust store hours. To better manage crowds, stores are changing their holiday shopping hours, extending closings to enable less congestion.
- Expand curbside service. Curbside delivery is a safer way to make transactions in a socially distanced way.
- Offer appointment-only services. By giving shoppers a chance to shop alone in a store, or with a very limited number of people, small businesses can reassure customer safety while promoting a retail shopping perk.
- Provide virtual experiences. High-risk customers may skip the in-person shopping experience, but providing virtual retail experiences can give everyone a safe alternative to the retail store.
- Introduce Optimized Window Shopping. Using QR Code technology, you can let shoppers buy from the window without entering the store. Shoppers can view the products from outside, scan the QR code to select their preferred item, and have it shipped to them.
FaciliSafety hopes for a prosperous and safe holiday shopping season for all. You can count on us to provide all your social distance signage, partitions and barriers, cleaning and disinfectant products, and more.