Workplace Decision Tool
Workplaces Considerations for Reopening During the COVID-19 Pandemic
The purpose of this tool is to assist employers in making (re)opening decisions during the COVID-19 pandemic, especially to protect vulnerable workers. It is important to check with state and local health officials and other partners to determine the most appropriate actions while adjusting to meet the unique needs and circumstances of the local community.
Should you consider opening?
- Will reopening be consistent with applicable state and local orders?
- Are you ready to protect employees at higher risk for severe illness?
Are recommended health and safety actions in place?
- Promote healthy hygiene practices such as hand washing and employees wearing a cloth face covering, as feasible
- Intensify cleaning, disinfection, and ventilation
- Encourage social distancing and enhance spacing between employees, including through physical barriers, changing layout of workspaces, encouraging telework, closing or limiting access to communal spaces, staggering shifts and breaks, and limiting large events, when and where feasible
- Consider modifying travel and commuting practices. Promote telework for employees who do not live in the local area, if feasible
- Train all employees on health and safety protocols
Is ongoing monitoring in place?
- Develop and implement procedures to check for signs and symptoms of employees daily upon arrival, as feasible
- Encourage anyone who is sick to stay home
- Plan for if an employee gets sick
- Regularly communicate and monitor developments with local authorities and employees
- Monitor employee absences and have flexible leave policies and practices
- Be ready to consult with the local health authorities if there are cases in the facility or an increase in cases in the local area